With so many programming languages to choose from. What should be the first programming language you learn?
I’ll answer this question with a question: “What are your goals?”
Knowing what you want to do with programming will simplify your decision.
|If you want to build…||Learn this language|
|Video game engines||C++|
|Embedded systems, operating systems||C|
|Machine learning, AI, and data science||Python|
- Python is well suited for beginners because the syntax is among the easiest syntax to learn. It reads like plain English, making it a good choice for beginner programmers.
Both languages are among the most popular technologies according to the 2020 StackOverflow survey.
Once you get more experienced, you learn that languages come and go. You’ll realize languages are a means to an end rather than the end itself.
So don’t over-analyze it. Pick a language and learn the building blocks of programming. Learn the answers to the following questions:
- What are the common data types?
- What are conditional statements?
- What are loops?
- How do you handle exceptional behavior?
- What are functions?
- What are classes and objects?
At the end of the day, have fun with it and build cool things.